Monday, June 2, 2014

Quilt Using Your Scraps

The objective of my latest class was to reduce the students' stash but it is hard to resist shopping for fabric ....

The class went well and the 6 students enjoyed themselves.

Explaining the quilt that hangs in the background
at the right.
(photo credit, J. Freeman)
I think I did a good job explaining the project and showing different options. I suggested better ways to cut fabric and helped decide block placement for maximum effect.

Fill in what you are missing with a  fabric that
is similar in value.
There are three strips of blue that are slightly darker in value
than the rest in the row but it still works.
I am thrilled with the new space I have found at Artscape Youngplace. The Flex Studio is large and quiet and has great natural light and a tiny kitchen.


students working
(photo credit, L Mayers)

 I will be teaching there again in October and November. The two classes I am definitely putting on the calendar are Quilt-as-you-Go technique and a Free Motion class. Both have been super popular in the past and are both " life changing" techniques one can use in many different applications. I will probably do another scrap quilt project. I may do a gift class and teach something like a pillow case,



a pin cushion, a fabric bucket for storing stuff,



things that are easy and quick to put together and make great gifts.

If you've ever taken a class anywhere and have forgotten how to go about finishing your quilt you'll love this. I am offering a class where students can bring in those projects so we can work through problems and refresh your memory on how to finish it. Wouldn't it be great to get those out of the cupboard?

If anyone reading this wants to propose another class I am interested in hearing your idea.

All Fall classes will be advertised on this blog under Teaching Schedule when I set the dates later this summer.

I will be at Artscpae Youngplace in mid- June but this time as a student myself. I am taking a paper making workshop at Paper Studio. I am really looking forward to learning this craft in hopes that I can integrate some of the more sculptural sheets in my artwork. I have been stitching paper and combining it with fabric for 7 years. I know there are still places available in the workshop so contact the studio directly if you are interested.




No comments:

Post a Comment