Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Hand Work

"(She) rolled her shoulder slightly to relax the cramping muscle as she tried to keep her focus on the tiny, even stitches..."

Clouds, detail, 2009
Ronan & Erwan Bouroullec
key figures in the international design scene.
Clouds seen at Musée des Arts Décoratifs, Paris.

"She liked sewing."


 Clouds, detail
Momentané (exhibit) closed September 1, 2013

"Liked the steady repetition that allowed her thoughts to drift, and the unequalled satisfaction of creating something functional, and sometimes even beautiful, with her own hands."

Clouds (right side)
Twigs, detail, 2004 (left side)


It makes me happy to know that my mom is starting quilting classes in France. Sewing is something that has brought me great satisfaction.


Clouds (right)
Twigs, (left)

Oddly enough these textile works were not sewn by hand! I put them with this post because of their title- Clouds. Dreamy and relaxing, which is the feeling I hope my mom gets from sewing quietly.

(quote from the book I read this summer on the beach, The Firebird, by Susanna Kearsley.)

1 comment: