Monday, September 3, 2012

Discoveries

Over the summer, I met textile artist Averil Stuart-Head for the first time.

Averil in front of her house in Introdacqua, Abruzzo
She is the director of Abruzzo School of Creative Art and has hired me as one of her teachers for July, 2013.

Click here to view my course outline.

She lives in Introdacqua
I visited the school space.
View from the school grounds.

We will be able to work outside.

outdoor space

After our tour and wonderful lunch, I visited her studio...

Her studio has street access.
It is on the ground floor of her home
...and saw her amazing, colourful works.

Part of her studio with work in progress
Selecting her colour palette using torn fabric strips
Averil talking about her favorite piece
Her work was seen in the Florence Biennale in 2007.
The second part of her studio is
set up more like a gallery of her work.
We ended our afternoon with a yummy gelato in Sulmona! Thanks Averil and Bruce!!

I am looking forward to this new experience in Abruzzo, the birth place of my great-grandmother.

I am busy now tweaking my itineraries for my own textile trips coming up in 2013- Verona in April and Umbria in August. Keeping checking Textile Trips under Pages for updates and to sign up. Hope you can join me for one of these amazing experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment