Monday, March 30, 2020

Isolation

Since the corona virus broke people have been self isolating. I have had many people call or email and 'check' on me and that's nice but I do tell them that my life hasn't really change that much.

I normally work from home, isolated in my studio, alone. That part of my day is the same. I have had no "adjustments" to make. I chose to work this way because for me sewing is meditative. I want to be by myself.

If these restrictions are new to you you are probably saying, "How does she do it??? I am going crazy and it's only been a week!"

The home has many distractions! Beware.

One thing is for sure. I am very disciplined. I wake up at the same time every weekday. I either run on my elliptical or go outside (could be a walk or a viewing of the garden) then I "Go to Work". That idea of "Arriving at the Studio" is a good one. I enter and start working. It helps you feel you are not still at home. I close the door and work. Note: never work in your PJ's :-)

I vary my activities. I work with fabric so I section off time for cutting, time for sewing a particular project for my artwork or my quilts, time for designing. Then I may write up class notes for a new idea. (I have so many ideas!! Too many for my lifetime, I fear!!) I also stand up often and do some stretching or movements so my body doesn't cramp up.

I am a big believer of timers! Especially when I have to do something I don't like. I give myself a time limit and a "prize' after the time is up even if the entire job isn't finished. The prize could be a tea or some knitting time, small stuff like that.

Normally, I squeeze in some teaching and I guess that is my way of connecting with people. I have so much experience and sharing my expertise and empowering people is something I love to do. It's exciting to me to see students, even beginner ones, soar after they have been given an opportunity to create their own quilt design! If you have taken a class from me you know there are no set patterns. You do not need a teacher to read you a pattern! You need a teacher to teach a technique and inspire you to create your own quilt and tell your own story.

The Spring classes I had booked at Artscape Youngplace in Toronto have been postponed. The landlord has given me a credit for the 2 rentals and I hope to reschedule the classes in the late Fall.

I have made so many new friends while teaching all those years.  That's such a nice part of teaching. Some of those friends have accompanied me to Italy and enjoyed a real (authentic) Italian experience, meeting quilters, socializing with my neighbours, having classes taught by Italian artists and immersing themselves in the culture. Those trips have been postponed as well.

DING!! My time to write to you is up. Got to get back to my sewing.

Think positively.

You are in charge of your day. Make it a great one.








No comments:

Post a Comment