Friday, January 25, 2019

23 Minute Meditation

Whenever I go downtown, I make time to drop in for a visit at the AGO, even if it's for less than an hour.


Yesterday, I decided to find an art work I liked in a quiet room and look at it for 25 minutes. Look only at that. I found a piece from Abstract Impressionism.

Interesting experiment. It is amazing what I start to see and notice. I discover more as I look at it.


I see which strokes went over the white paint, which strokes were made over the black paint. What
strokes were made under.

Some of the black seems wet.


I see that not all the white is the same white. Not all the black is the same black. I see a darker black and a lighter black.


I see the width of the brushes.


I thought about the movements, the ballet, the artist's body made while he painted.

The artist's signature is absent. I found out when I researched it later that the work is indeed signed but on the back.

photos of Franz Kline's Cupola, 1958 - 1960, first floor at the AGO, west wing.

dimension: 198.1 x 269.9cm (78 x 106 1/4 inches)

No comments:

Post a Comment